The Department is located in the 2nd floor of the college building. The Laboratory is fortified with adequate instruments and resource materials. A total of 210 hours of which 100 Lecture, Practical 50 hours, tutorial 30 hours and clinical Pharmacology 30 hours are followed. The Pharmacology & Therapeutics are part of 3`d Professional MBBS Examination according to new curriculum.
After completing the course student should be able to:
* Describe the basic pharmacological properties, Mechanism of Action, Pharmacokinetic parameter and adverse reaction of the drug.
* Describe the basic principles and concepts considered essential for rational, effective, safe and economic use of drugs in clinical practice.
* Understand the principles of rational prescribing and the basis of therapeutic decision making, utilization the principles of rational evaluation of therapeutic alternatives.
* State the principles underlying the concept of Essential Drugs and apply them in community-oriented health care services.
* Recognize and manage the drug reaction, Interaction and problem due to misuse and abuse of drugs.
* Recognize the implication of poly pharmacy and other means of irrational prescribing, identify different influences favoring irrational prescribing and develop means to resist them.
* Identify and assess objectively the drug information sources.
* Evaluate the ethical and legal issues involved in drug prescribing, development, Manufacture, and marketing.
* Acquire methods of learning needed for evaluation of existing and new drugs and to follow trends and approaches in pharmacological research.
* Develop attitude for continuous self-learning.
Recent Research works
I. Patten of antihypertensive use and evaluation of outcome in a rural tertiary care hospital in Bangladesh. Dr. Md. Moniruzzaman Khan, Associate Professor (CC), Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Khwaja YUIIUs Ali Medical College.
2. Study of bioactive antifungal principles from herbal plant materials of Bangladesh.
Prof. Dr. A.K.M. Shahidur Rahman, Professor (cc) & Head, Department of Pharmacology &
Therapeutics, Khwaja Yunus Ali Medical College.